ART AND EXHIBITIONS
Municipal Library Albano Sardoeira
Founded in 1947 by the initiative of the professor and History researcher Dr. Albano Sardoeira, the Municipal Library of Amarante integrates the National Network of Public Reading. Initially placed in the former Convent of S. Gonçalo, it would be replaced in 2002, to Casa da Cerca (former Convent of Santa Clara) that the City acquired in 1993.
Largo de Santa Clara
Telephone: 255 420 236
Fax: 255 420 280
Municipal Museum Amadeo de Souza-Cardoso
The Municipal Museum Amadeo de Souza-Cardoso, former library - Municipal Museum of Amarante, was founded in 1947 by Dr. Albano Sardoeira, to bring together materials relating to local history and to recall the artists and writers born in Amarante, including Antonio Carneiro, Amadeo de Souza-Cardoso, Acácio Lino, Manuel Monterroso, among many others.
Installed in the Dominican Convent of S. Gonçalo de Amarante, the construction was undertaken between the XVI-XVIII centuries, then the Museum gradually occupied some of these spaces. In 1980, there was a modern sense reconstruction project, by the architect Alcino Soutinho, with the reconstitution of the two cloisters, distorted by the demolition of the body between them, which took place in the mid-nineteenth century.
Alameda Teixeira de Pascoaes
Phone: 255 420 272/233
Amarante House of Arts
The Amarante House of Arts results from the transformation and adaptation of the old city jail, transformed now into a modern cultural and educational center.
This House is located in the northern part of the city, Campo da Feira, consisting of two floors that receive administrative offices, classrooms for music and ballet classes, multipurpose hall for rehearsals and exhibitions, audiovisual and multimedia library and a 122 seats auditorium , equipped with a stage for performances, exhibitions and conferences.
Nova St. (once the city jail) - São Gonçalo
Telephone: 255 424 285