Casa da Calçada Relais & Chateaux was built in one of the most beautiful palaces of the 16th century. Built to be one of the main palaces of the Count of Redondo, the building’s history is intertwined with the history of Portugal and Europe.
During the French invasions, the allied troops of Portugal and England settled here. In 1880, António do Lago Cerqueira, one of the most important political leaders of Portugal’s First Republic, was born in the palace, which was at the time owned by his family. Through him, the rooms of the palace became a prolific meeting place for politicians and intellectuals at the turn of the 20th century.
In 2001 the property was completely restored and transformed into a 5-star hotel. A member of the renowned Relais & Chateaux, with all the demanding requirements, Casa da Calçada is today an inescapable reference of Portuguese hospitality.